2023 Operating Millage Renewal & School Improvement Bond Information

One very important aspect of running a school district is planning for the continued maintenance and development of our district.  On May 2, 2023, Center Line Public Schools will have two requests on the ballot, asking our community to 1) maintain the current school operating millage, and 2) approve a zero-mill increase bond. 

Neither of these requests will increase the tax rate.  They are designed to maintain tax rates at the current level.  Funds from the operating millage are used to pay for everyday expenses of operating schools—staffing (teachers, custodians, classroom aides, bus drivers, etc.), heat, buses, electricity, after-school activities, athletics, and much more.  Funds from the zero-mill increase bond request would be used to continue the improvements to many of our schools and throughout our district. Passing the May 2 bond will not increase the current tax rate because at the end of this year, a bond that was passed in 2002 will be paid off.  The new bond on the May 2 ballot is designed to maintain the current tax rate of our community in order to provide additional funds to the schools without increasing the current tax rate (thus the name, "zero-mill" bond).

district funding sources

Operating Millage Renewal

The foundation allowance is the lifeblood of any school district in the state of Michigan.  This pays for staffing (teachers, custodians, aides, bus drivers, food service, etc.), curriculum, utilities, school supplies, buses, athletic teams, etc. —all of the everyday expenses needed to successfully run a school.  Approximately 69% of our foundation allowance comes from state taxes—sales tax, gas tax, and other taxes. The other 31% of the foundation allowance comes from our local operating millage—funds collected from the Center Line Public Schools’ community (residents and businesses). 

Every ten years, all public schools are required to request their communities to renew their operating millages.  Because these funds are so vital to schools, operating millages usually pass. Center Line Public Schools is asking our community to continue funding our schools at the same tax rate that we are currently funded.  This is a not an increase in the tax rate but a renewal of the current level of funding.

If the operating millage renewal passes, we will be able to continue the quality work that we are doing with our students and families.  If the operating millage renewal fails, CLPS will be required to develop a budget that includes a 31% reduction in funding, a cut of approximately $8,154,900.  ​The loss of this funding would cause the district to make tough choices to reduce our budget, which may include program cuts, increased class sizes, staff layoffs, and/or service cuts (i.e., transportation, athletics, extracurriculars).

Center Line Public Schools is doing great things.  A successful millage renewal will ensure that our schools have the funds to continue preparing our students for a productive future.  Please vote on May 2nd.

School Improvement Bond

Center Line Public Schools has a rich history, dating back to 1899 as part of School District #2 of the Township of Warren. Our current buildings were all constructed in the 1950s and 1960s.  Those school buildings have served our district well over the last 60 - 70 years.  The passage of the 2017 school improvement bond supported the update and renovation of many of those same buildings.  The last series of work of the 2017 bond will start in spring 2023.  Ground will be broken on the new gymnasium and cafeteria at Crothers Elementary.  Major renovations to the existing Crothers building will start in June (and should conclude in June of 2024).

The work of improving our district isn't done.  The 2017 bond started much-needed renovations and updates.  However, major structural improvements like parking lots, roofs, and fire alarms as well as technological updates are still needed.  If the May 2nd zero-mill School Improvement Bond passes, these needs will be addressed along with adding two classrooms to Crothers Elementary, creating a secure entrance to the Eve Kaltz/Academy 21 building and remodeling classrooms to meet early childhood licensing requirements, adding student collaboration centers at Wolfe and CLHS, and fixing the tennis courts. 

Operating Millage
School improvement Bond